PHILLIPINO WHALE SHARK DIVING TOURLocally Escorted Small Group Tours
Sorsogon Province - the towns of Donsol,
Pilar, Castilla and Magallanes
Swimming with a Whale Shark, locally known as Butanding (scientific name: Rhincodon typus), is the epitome of wildlife encounters, an experience of a lifetime that a nature enthusiast or ecotour fanatic cannot afford to miss.
And such a singular experience is offered in the waters off Sorsogon Province, particularly in the towns of Donsol, Pilar, Castilla and Magallanes. Here one can watch or interact with a Butanding, or several, sometimes 10 to 15 of them at any one time on lucky days. Such a phenomenon cannot be found in other parts of the country, or even in other parts of the world. In fact, Donsol is now dubbed by enormously awed and satisfied tourists as the Whale Shark Capital of the World.
It is in the waters off Donsol where such a phenomenally large number of Whale Sharks congregate, cavort and caper. These gentle giants of the sea, considered the largest fishes in the world measuring from 15 ft. to as long as 40 ft. in length, have been observed to converge in the waters off Donsol starting sometime during the months of October and November and peak in the months of February to May.
The Butandings, featuring silvery polka dots all over its huge body and feeding only on plankton and krill, are harmless, gentle, friendly and playful, allowing humans to swim with them, as they ponderously glide alongside seacraft.
And then, the gentle giants quietly disappear. But the seasoned Donsol fisherman assures us that the Butandings will be back again sometime in October, November or December for the start of another wholesome ecotourism adventure - the incomparable Whale Shark/Butanding Interaction.
4 days and 3 nights from $1499 per person *
Included in price:
• Fly from Manila to Legaspi City & transfer from Legaspi to Donsol
• 2 nights twin share accommodation in Donsol with daily breakfasts
• Girwan Vilage tour with firefly river cruise dinner
• Whale shark interaction with snorkeling gear
• Ticao island tour with picnic lunch and snorkeling gear
• Transfers from Donsol to Legaspi.
• 1 night twin share accommodation in Legaspi
• Legaspi shopping trip and Cagsawa church visit with local guide
• Transfer to Legaspi airport and return flight back to Manila.
* Based on minimum of 2 people traveling together. Rates for groups are negotiable. Prices are subject to change.
Exclusions: Airport fees, Porterage, Tips, Meals not indicated above.